Learning Resource Centre
The LRC is here to serve the whole Academy, and we’re continually building up our resources so that we can support everyone from Freshers right through to senior staff members. Our aim is to ensure that staff and students enjoy using the facilities for research and independent learning, as well as reading for pleasure. It’s free, it’s yours to use, and we’re here to help. If you can’t find anything, or need help in sourcing information, all you have to do is ask!
- We have plenty of fiction to appeal to all tastes, from thrillers to fantasy and horrors to books about families and friends – and that’s just for the younger students! We also have a selection of modern adult fiction, as well as the classics. Our developing non-fiction stock includes everything from books on how to look after pets and information about football, fishing, wild animals - right through to books about philosophy and anthropology, as well as a developing staff library.
- To keep everybody right up to speed with the news we take a selection of daily papers, plus all sorts of magazines and periodicals, not to mention academic journals to help with work at GCSE, A Level, IB and beyond.
- We subscribe to websites such as World Book Online, plus specialist databases to support academic work at post-16 level.
Events are organised throughout the year to promote reading and information skills. Past events have included:-
- Fun and informative author visits, including Kjartan Poskitt, Tom Palmer, Justin Somper, David Logan and Ian Clayton.
- Student involvement in the annual Leeds Book Awards and Leeds Graphic Book Awards.
- Leeds City Libraries’ Bookends Poetry Project.
- Leeds City Libraries’ Young Storytellers Project.
- Visits to other libraries.
- Ilkley Literature Festival outreach programme
- Nature trails.